Search This Blog

Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Little Politeness Goes A Long Way

Mode: Fenin' - after 7 nites wif less sleeps, I'm falling off n I c da whole universe was a spinning hotchpotch blurred of stars.

I gave my word 2 share wif u, a memorable moment which occured 2 me last few days.


CASE ONE (1)

Monday saw me going, on my way 2 NatWest, bumped into a chap (whom no longer a stranger 2 me) happened 2 b my junior in uni. Couple of secs b4, I was been approached by dos 'charity 4 children' volunteers, asking me 2 chip in 4 donation - which I dun want 2 highlight ere. It took me 10 mins 2 complete da donation details n da patient, humble mortal was standing next 2 me, waiting. I felt unease 4 keeping him waiting n completed da transaction @ da soonest I can.

Da following is a transcript of da exchange of words I had wif da young guy, along market street, heading to Piccadilly Central.

Junior A1: Abg Wann dr mane?

Opsss b4 I proceed:
FYI - dere will never n ever (in my whole entire life in Manchester) a XY chromosome wud address me 'Abg Wann'. Furthermore, seniority is never exist in Manchester Zarul Iman. Hence my heart bloated & flowered (^_^) n felt really touched. @ least, scarcely, sum1 is respecting me still despite I may not look like a respectable senior =(

Me: Abg dr office, heading 2 Precinct 2 check my balance in Natwest. Kamu dr mane?

Junior A1: dr Arnsdale ... (pausing)... I bought chin-up-bar 4 exercise

Me: Dats great. U really into body shaping, arent ya?

Junior A1: No - laa (blushing) Just a bit of exercise only when I feel like 2 do it. Abg dah makan?

Wat do u feel knowing sum1 cares much bout u? I feel like ..............................(speechless)

Me: No, but I'll grab egg-mayo later along da way.

On da bus, I tried 2 blend da sense of being alert+sensitive+knowledgeable. Dis is how it goes

Me: I believe Manchester Games is approaching. Is everything under control?

Junior A1: (long silence) ermmmmmmmm. ok kot. cuma ada prob sket on funding n wif 1 society/club. (4 mutual trust n confidence between us, I shall not reveal da name of d club) Abg wann, can I ask ur opinion, if u dun mind?

Me: (gaping) go on ... derang wat hal lagi ker?

n dere goes my long lecture. from piccadilly garden 2 precinct on bus journey.

_________________________________________________________

Compare dat wif dis one


CASE TWO (2)

Sumwhere last year, while I was preparing dinner, 2 blokes rang da bell-door: ma fren (whom I reluctantly 2 call him fren) n a junior

Let him be Junior A2 4 identification n comparison purposes. They were about 2 meet my housemate n I didnt mind inviting them 2 stay over 4 dinner

Dis how it happened:

Junior A2: Keje OK ker wanzue?

Me: OK (still OK)

Junior A2: Aku tgk biler ko keje ni semakin rosak jer. makin menjadi2. ko kaler rambut lagi ker?

Me: Ha ah. Obvious kan? ( I started 2 berserk, my missiles r about to lauch) x kan x nampak kot? (cynically)

POI pls, Junior A2 is da 'so-called' vvip in my community ie Malaysian Community of Old Trafford. First I saw him, he's like da middle-of-the-road type. But upon joining circles, tamrin watsoever, he begins 2 change. In a gud way I mean. He's now religious, reserved n more mature. I idoled him da most @ first, 4 his change makes him much better - a wiser person.

But its all 'Memori Daun Pisang' now!!!
My adulations r improverishing, tellin ya

Junior A2: ko tau kan bende tu salah?

Me: Tau (I was no longer in da cooking-licking-gud mood alredi. I stirred da boiling gravy grumpily..my heart is sizzling hot just like da gravy)

Junior A2: Abis tue kenape ko buat? Ko kan sekolah K***S dulu, x kan ko x blaja bende2 nih ?

Me: Ntah. saje ikut hati, aku buatlah (still trying 2 be moderate even I'm bout 2 burst)

Junior A2: Ikut hati mati !

Me: Kerana mulut badan binasa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (dats it, u go babe)

Junior A2: Aku bukan ape. Dulu aku tgk ko baik je. Join usrah sumer. Patutnyer ko jadi lebey baik laa. aku nie just nak tegur @ nasihat jerr ( I totally 4got wat exactly da word he sed.its between those two)

Me: Okay. U done ur job. Thanks for being concerned (in my heart, yeah - u're rite!!) beckoning my inner-euss inside.

Junior A2: Ko x malu ker wat keje2 camnie? Ko tue ex-K***S, dulu join M*M, sedarlah sket ( I can even see he's smirking at me)

Me: (Cant help it) Wat.The.F....... Look, if u're coming 2 my house purposely 2 advice me on dis kind of way, im sorry mister. I think u got da wrong person, plus da wrong time. If u keep on insisting 2 proceed, wif all due respect, please get ur ass hell out of ere.

I went upstairs. Left da gravy half-cooked. which I assured da best way indicating, he's no longer welcome!!

_______________________________________________________

MY POINT IS:-

We tend 2 look down upon normal, social, huu haa type of person. We thot of da depictions dat their social life has taught them 2 b modern, 4 getting their roots, neglecting manners n politeness. I admit Junior A1, isnt really a gud person. An idly one. I didn't c him in any islamic circles or talks. He's simply immuned from all these.

But our MCOT VVIP, Junior A2, on da other hand, who been into circles (which I'm pretty sure Islam talks a lot on ethics particularly in approaching a person - Manahij Ad Da'wa) but wat he has done to me is totally 1)disgusting 2)uncivilised 3)ill-mannered n 4) simply unacceptable

now answer me, which one is polite?
which one deserve 4 my attention n praise?

I think, society must re-accessing their views on 'not-so-islamic' type of ppl. Perhaps we have sumting 2 learn from them. Dun just look 4 da bad apples. Some of da apples in da barrel r really mellowing, like Junior A1.
but junior A2, bcuz of him, I started 2 raise my hatredness 2 him n his clicks aka his usrah clan (even I know i'm not supposed 2 do so)
but true be told, 'kerana nila setitik rosak susu sebelanga' - u mess a thing, u mess it all

n its becuz of Junior A1 politeness, I decided 2 give him a hand 4 his project

Da MSSM ie Malaysian Student Society of Manchester is currently in need searching 4 sponsors 4 Manchester Games & Malaysian Nite. Those who know or who have known any potential sponsor(s) or willingly 2 contribute no matter how small, please visit


or personally email
Sorilah dik. Abg bkn x nak sponsor, gaji pun x seberapa -grins- I'll help u out by all means neccessary. I'll try 2 talk 2 my company 2 look up 4 our fund raising.
CONCLUSION
  • A little politeness goes a long way
  • Dun be gullibled ie religious (or) (and) society leaders r not neccessarily well-manered
  • Respect others as u want them 2 respect u. Respect can win da hearts, enraptures da minds BUT arrogant or 'macam bagus' kinda like attitude just drive u mad, raise no respect n even worst promote hatredness n abhor
Think bout it.
p/s: 2 non-malay speakers, ask me 4 translation. I'm not keen 2 translate those 2 english in order to preserve da originality of da discussion content took place.
"Repect ur neighbour 4 God shalt love u"
Peace =)
x

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right...
I have same story like you...
I have someone that I adore so much coloring his hair but I don't know what to do now..
to 'tegur' him.. he's older already...
but, I'm really regret that I'm telling him that we can coloring our hair... now.. I'm stranded...

I think both junoir 2 deserve what they got from u...

yer laaa, someone yang dolu2 tu ntah sape2.. and after join the study cirle... tup2.. @#$%^&*

I know how's ur feeling bour it.. one advise laaa...
BE YOURSELF K...
if u selesa that way... no one will make u change, unless ...

that's it from me...

Sarah Mohd Shukor said...

salam abg wan,
for men (x-*****), ur hair style is d matter. n for girls, our hijab style/patern is d matter. troublesome us to please them in all kinds of subjects. but for me, wat come 1st are, how to make sure ppl can define islam from us, try to make ppl know how nice it is, try to please them with our well-mannered attitudes, make them feel easy to b with we muslims, show them how great d line of rules that put us to b d honoured creation among d creations.

we live not to please ppl, but to please ourself 1st, but stil not leave behind d necessaries that need to carry along with.

our taklifan, our purposes to be created, we should always remember them. once we emberras our life to islam, we would notice that we r d real jundullah!

abg wan, i hope that watever kind of advices i did give u in d past, u didnt look at them s d way junior A2 did to u...

salam

Zokhri Idris said...

mysterious girl,

my advice is - take it easy.
first n foremost,u have to let him trust u.all a person need is trust. a trust dat watever u advice is 4 da sake of loving n caring. a sincere intention to say.
not wif any sense of hatredness as ive stated.

when he trusts u, slowly tell him wat u think is rite. constantly ask him, wat do u think? let him speak n share.then he'll think he's not been judged or prejudiced.

i think da mischief habit possessed by us (da lame malaysians), we keep on poiting our blame str8 2 da nose without asking why is he/she doing dat. dere always be a reason 4 everything. as 4 me, i just dun colour my hair arbitarily or for da sake imitating others.after a long n hard consideration, i decided to do it. even those drug addicts for example, do u honestly believe they wanna end up like dat at da first place? hell no. but due to pressure n short-fickled minded,they r now wat they r.still loads of story to justify.

yeah they deserve well. i always be fair to my juniors -grins- (^_^)those who respect ppl deserve 2 be respected.

ada larrrrrrrr (^_^)

yeah watever,no matter, I always be myself..
(believe it or not key 103 fm is currently playing stay da same by joey mcintyre)

from u? (evil cheeky mode)
hows possible is dat? hahaha.
i dun change for ppl even for a stranger-mysterious gurl like u
lol

p/s my mum taught me, since i was 5, to never listen 2 strangers. wat more a mysterious person. lol


=)

x

Zokhri Idris said...

sarah,

salam alaik,

u know one thing dat is so special bout u, u have dis ability 2 understand me. furthermore, u know da way 2 advice me without slightly hurting me.dats so extraordinary of u.reading ur sentences, i alredi know wat r u trying 2 tell me.

in my opinion, u adopt dis kind of approach."i know u like it abg,but i think u r better if u do it in dis way" hence u always provide me alternatives n chances to review.which brings me to realise - u r so unique in da way of advicing. u never mislead the principles u believe with,but u convey those in a really suttle concealed way.
in da end, i'm not attracted to da content u delivered, but touched by ur understanding n tolerance shown.

s 4 dat, every single thing u said, i always think n consider.

no dear, dere's nothing even a bit bout u looks like Junior A2.in fact u r far better than Junior A1.

love u always,
x

Mohammad Ihab Ismail said...

Salam oi!!!

HAAA TUUU DIA!!!
Aku tak baca pon lagi entry dulu... HAMIK KO!! Panjang BABENG kotttt entry ni hahahaha...

Ni entry ni dibuat utk tahan berapa lama jang?? haha...

Aku baca nanti bila dah slow down skit ek ngan keBZan ku hehehe...

puteri nad said...

salam abang wan,
as for me..
whatever road we chose to take we should review what's the consequences in our later lives la kan..

anyhow me oso don like those goody two shoes just because we happened to be from some skola pondok we need to conform to their way of thinking of how ex student skola pondok shud be.

tiba2 emo..lols..

cheers,
nad

Zokhri Idris said...

Dear princess,

thanks dear. i'll always have dat in mind.

but i doubt ur last para =)

isnt sekolah pondok shud be in rural areas @ kampungs? but a school built in such metropolitan city like seremban shud not be regarded as sekolah funduk.

lol

p/s hope dat cools down ur emo.

ur brother,
x

Anonymous said...

Dear Wan Zue,

Just a short msg this time. Short but compact.

Just please avoid those that have these "holier than thou" attitude. They make the world suffer, they make the whole world population hurt with their 'goodness', they inflame everyone's emotion.

In short, ko jawab jer kat diorang, kita masuk syurga bukan dengan amal ibadat kita buat, tapi dgn rahmat Allah semata.

Kalau kita nak sembur2 org tepi2 jalan mcm tu n hurt ppl in d process, well kalau mcm tu tau2 jelah (i think u know better) dosa kita dgn org tu kena kow tim lagi.

And then pasal perbahasan rambut ni dah lama we all discuss (time me n sorg ex-fren tu baik lg dulu) pasal halal haram kaler rambut ni - tanya ihab for clarification. Dia ada masuk sekali debate kitorang dulu haha.

I had striped blonde when i was in third year and i think my hair colour was quite nice.

Anonymous said...

hmm.. never liked people who use Junior A2's way to tegur.Once, I've seen people doing that and I mentioned to the 'penegur' to be a bit berhikmah in her 'teguran' and u know what she said? it was something along the lines of 'tkper kasar sbb nanti ada jugak 2-3 bende yg masuk dlm kepala'
and I was like 'WAt??'

2ndly,
as 4 me, i just dun colour my hair arbitarily or for da sake imitating others.after a long n hard consideration, i decided to do it
-yerp, a reason for everything. that is wat I believe in too.We all know wat's right and wrong. So, there must be a really valid reason as to why we sometimes choose the wrong (or so, as seen by others).
I did not consider that long to change the color of my hair (haha.. plus aku dulu naqibah OK,matilar)since I believed my actions were justified at the time. However, as princess said, we must review the consequences..and i agree with that. Aku akui kekadang aku buat salah.. salah yang melampau.so, memana yg aku boleh avoid, aku avoidlar.. mana yg tersungkur tuh.. hmmm.. opppsss lar kan..

oh goddd... im talking nonsense now. i dun even know wat my point is.

Zokhri Idris said...

Dear Mirul,

yeah, i'll just to shut my eyes n ears everytime they bumped on 2 me.dat day was really distinctive in its nature as i had took loads of measurements of my patience.they insisted of provoking my patience hence i cudnt help it.

u r rite.so long i got my best frens around,no matter even da world turns its back on me, i still can find a shoulder 2 cry on.thus, i cudnt be bothered, if a layman wif dis disgusting attitude trying 2 seduce me being gud.

plus im not seduceable. either in a gud way or in a bad way.lol.

about da hair colouring,everyone got his/her own view.we shud just enjoy da similarities n appreciate da differences. but Junior A2 didnt make any effort 2 understand me n hence, he deserves my abruptness. huhu

take care n have a lovely weekends.

love,
x

Zokhri Idris said...

Minci,

i think da appropriate way to respond to dis 'tak-makan-saman' ppl is 2 say "talk to da hand". cuz no point listening them while they arent do da same.

wasting time n energy.

exactly.....
n such reasons n justifications only best to be understood by us (da decision maker). obviously they wudnt know and intolerably,failed to let us to make them know.

i think,being an adolescent isnt dat easy.we have dis 'ism' 2 try anything whilst we can.we wanna do dis and wanna do dat.so in da remaining days of ours,(god willing) we'll be able to say 'ive done dat been dere'.

n ive nothing else to ask for.

as for me,i always have a time to stop.we wud never be young and could never forever act like da young ones.once,da time will pass n we must say farewell to those things.

minci, life is kicking now!! lets live it 2 da blast!!!

from old trafford wif love,(a fren love yeah)
x

Audy said...

so sweet la wanzu...

Anonymous said...

pun tak dapat nak post komen kat blog nih mcm kat blog ihab~~ huhu

komen kat sini aje lah~ yup.. i so agree with you.. meluat la ok dgn org yg atitude mcm-bagus sgt ni.. nak tegur biar lah dgn berhikmah~ rambut org sama hitam tapi hati lain2~

org mcm ni kan abgWan [haha.. nak panggil abg wan feeling polite jugak boley~] kdg2 kena bagi sedas dua-kasi sedar sket yg kdg2 cra dia tak kena.. menda baik dia nak tegur, tapi biar lah kena caranye


LF@DA

Anonymous said...

Hi dearest,

Due to time, I'll write a short entry.

It is very dangerous to play God and I hope the so-called pendakwahs like Junior A2 are well aware of their actions (even though they think that they have good intentions).

I'm told by a wise lecturer that the task of judging whether a person is Islamic or unIslamic solely belongs to God.

Very good of u to be firm.

Zokhri Idris said...

dear rizal,

i'm just returning one's courtesy 4 wat he has shown.one will gain respect n love if she/he gives da same. hence, we shud always respect n love our neighbours n frens, all entire mankinds and even 2 da animals n plants.

every1 deserved 2 be treated in da way he/she treats others. its an easy rule aint? in life, we r mirorring each other.

enw,as sed, a little politeness goes a long way.even i'm not paying him now, god shall reward him generously.n dis is da least i cud do for him (a person who treat me wif respect)

p/s cant wait 2 c u soon.. london its da place to be, innit?

regards
x

Zokhri Idris said...

anonymous @ LF@DA,

takpelah, i guess we live wif all sorts of peeps in life.da gud n da bad ones.mana yg baik tue kiter amik laaa.mana yg tdk,kite jgn buat.klu kite tak suka org buat pada kiter camtue, derang pun tak suka klu kite buat camtue kat derang..

jap, is my message clearly understood? haha. i'm rumbling in my own mother-tongue. shame !!! lol

abg wann? i thot u r older than me? lol.. x kisahlah panggil ape pun kan,yg penting kiter saling hormat menghormati..

3R - respect,respond n react
(betul kah?) lol

x

Zokhri Idris said...

dearest lady ians,

thanks for supporting.
but i'll forgive him if he comes and 'say im sorry'. let dere be no hatred 2 ur neighbours for God commands us 2 have a pure heart to entire mankinds.

but again, forgiving doesnt mean forgetting. i wud forgive him and pretend it didnt happened,but deep inside my heart,da wound bleeds 4ever. (i wish he cud know dis)

love,
x

matalebam said...

what u do is ur right and ur right alone. nobody can decide anything for u as long as u dont infringe on someone else's rights.

you nak colour hair ke, nak korek hidung ke, nak ponteng kelas ke, its ur right. ure not a small kid. no mortal should have the cheek to judge u. only Allah s.w.t. can and will judge. kalau nak pesan elok2 its fine, but thats the limit. anything more is overstepping the boundary between what is my concern and what is yours.

we all have imperfections. but conservatives only zoom in on certain 'faults' like colour rambut and these are socially constructed degrees of 'faultness'. if anyone like ur junior 2 ever comes up to me and says something along those lines, haha memang ill let him have it.

down with moral policing, and down with authoritarianism. noone should be persecuted for whatever decisions they make that dont affect anyone else.

as for ur 'society yg buat hal' if i read between the lines right, all ill do is grin..... things are seldom as simple as theyre made out to be

Zokhri Idris said...

dear mr wolf (hope dats not insulting or i'll be suffering another cold-war in manchester)
-grins-

yeah. i wud alredi know u'll come up wif dat kind of answer. cudnt agree more, mate.
i just wish junior A2 doesnt show up infront of u otherwise u'll roast his nuts 4 dinner.lol.

but at least,ive learnt sumting behind it.a fren today wont be a fren still in da day after.ppl change and so our surroundings.but i promise to all my frens n mates, no matter how bad or goood they'll be in future,i'll always be beside them, erasing the outter appearance of theirs n accept them for who they r.

wat happen between the societies,wudnt affect our relationship.those r external matters and shudnt be da subject matter between us. hating da organisation doesnt mean have to hate its all entire members..

but as u said laa kan, unfortunate!!!! huhu

enw thanks for being part of my day. again, i learnt a lot while joining u over a cuppa. dere always sumting ive learnt everytime we meet. (^_^)
and now i feel regret for not asking dat hot choc (mengidam smp skrg bley? lol

lesson i've learnt today - never stop to hope for winning n loosing isnt da deal,but da passion for trying n striving is priceless beyond all compare!!

thanks for making my day..

regards
x

Mohammad Ihab Ismail said...

Salam...
Huhuhuu... One thing am sure of - AKU DAH LAMBAT BABENG la kan nak komentar pasal ini entry hehe...

Nevertheless... I dont actually need to say anything.. Coz all those comments above mine have put forward all the words i can think of when I read this entry hehe...


For me.. If there's anybody I can equate myself to.. I would say IT'S YOU!!! Well.. I dont actually have to vomit out this statement.. Coz YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT!! haha...

In this life... Scepticism is just something that we cant afford to erradicate from the society... No matter HOW ANGEL-like we behave or HOW EVEL-like our doings are, PEOPLE WILL KEEP COMPLAINING..

We can never make humanity love us the way we are.. Therefore, LET IT BE...

As long as WE TESTIFY that THE RIGHTS ARE RIGHT & THE WRONGS ARE WRONG, then we have nothing to loose...

People are judgemental.. That's what they do... THEY JUDGE amongst themselves... Realizing NOT there's only one DIETY which has the RIGHT TO JUDGE THE HUMANS...


Live your life to the FULLEST!! :D

Zokhri Idris said...

ihab,

speechless mode
cudnt say more..

wat else i have to say? those are all undeniably blatantly true.

am thinking,its worth waiting for a comment like dis. u never disappoint me in giving me advice and comments. n i know,da long silence of urs from my blog has been paid with dis wonderful extravagant words.

thanks dearie.

yeah we are da only best 2 know each other.cuz we halfed to one and another.our probs n dilemma r basically circling da same spot.so we definitely need each other,ait.

thanks a lot mate. ur comments really bright up my day (after a long series of clouy days in manchester)lol.

looking forward to hearing from you soon.

regards
x

Mohammad Ihab Ismail said...

Salam...

Awwww... Ya response is just SOOO SWEET!! Siap bagi kata dua lagi...
YOU COMPLETE ME camtu!!
Awwww SOOO SWEET PLEASEEE haha...

Anonymous said...

sian nye u..
never mind..ur 'ibu pembaptisan' is here to help u..if i were u,i won't bother so much about those comments..lantak le
***hehehehe...actually i'm damn bored,sbb br abes mark asgmt..

dora